As of December 6, 2020, the Southern California region, which includes Orange County, falls under The Regional Stay Home Order which adds restrictions to regions with less than 15% ICU bed capacity. The following businesses in Orange County are currently closed:
- Dining at restaurants – many Newport Beach restaurants are open for take-out, pick-up and delivery. Check out our Dining Directory page here!
- Personal care services including nail salons, hair salons and barbershops, massage and skin care studios, piercing shops and tattoo parlors
- Wineries and tasting rooms
- Movie theaters
- Zoos and museums
- Offices for non-critical sectors
- Outdoor playground equipment
Under The Regional Stay at Home Order, the below businesses are ordered to operate following strict state and county guidelines, so please call ahead for specific inquiries:
- Grocery stores and pharmacies
- Indoor shopping
- Fitness facilities – outdoor only
- Places of worship – outdoor only
- Hotels and lodging – critical infrastructure support only
Starting November 21, 2020 through December 21, 2020, the California Department of Public Health issued a new order which prohibits nonessential activity outside the home from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. in counties within the Purple Tier under California’s Blueprint for a Safer Economy. Essential activity in the overnight hours include buying groceries, picking up prescriptions, walking the dog, picking up restaurant takeout orders, visiting healthcare providers and other essential service providers. For more information on this order and The Regional Stay Home Order, please visit: covid19.ca.gov.
- The State of California has made cloth face-coverings mandatory for anyone over the age of two in public spaces where there are others within six feet of you that reside outside of your household.
- For more health and safety guidelines during your visit to Newport Beach and Orange County, kindly observe the OC Health Officer’s orders & recommendations here.
- Please contact individual businesses ahead of time to learn about safety measures and patron guidelines before you visit.
What Is Open In Newport Beach?
Newport Beach hotel properties are open to critical infrastructure support only including accommodation for essential workers starting on December 6, 2020 for 3 weeks. Each property has placed appropriate protocols and procedures place to support the safety of guests. Please contact each hotel property for more information about safety guidelines and policies.
Short Term Rentals
A home away from home, Newport Beach short-term vacation rentals are available to rent. Please contact each individual company or property for more information about safety guidelines and policies.
View Vacation Rentals in Newport Beach
Photo Courtesy of White Sail Realty
Beaches are open for passive and active recreational use that follow physical distancing guidelines during normal beach hours (6 a.m. to 10 p.m.), 7 days a week. Parking lots, restrooms, the oceanfront Boardwalk, and Newport and Balboa piers are open. Newport Harbor is open for all normally allowed water activities. Fire pits are still closed.
As with all public spaces, the City of Newport Beach recommends that all people (1) stay close to home when you get outdoors, (2) not drive to parks or beaches, (3) venture out only with people in your immediate household, (4) actively walk, jog or bike in your neighborhood or local parks that remain open, (5) always maintain a social/ physical distance of 6 feet or more when recreating in the outdoors, and (6) leave public space if you cannot maintain social/ physical distancing. For more information, please visit: newportbeachca.gov
Open Air Nature Beyond The Beach
Fresh, beautiful and open-air natural spaces are located in every corner of Newport Beach. From hiking and biking trails to an ecological reserve and the West Coast’s largest recreational harbor, there are a variety of inspiring places to enjoy the great outdoors.
Socially-Distant Outdoor Recreation
Enjoy Newport Beach’s beautiful outdoors with these socially-distant land and water experiences. Please contact individual businesses about safety guidelines and protocols in advance.
Under The Regional Stay Home Order effective December 6, 2020, in-person dining is closed at this time but many of our 450+ Newport Beach restaurants offer take-out, pick-up and delivery. For a list of these restaurants, visit our Dining Directory here!
Fashion Island, Lido Marina Village and a variety of local boutiques are ready to welcome you back. Most Newport Beach retail stores are located outside and are incorporating proper social distancing and sanitation measures to allow patrons to shop safely.
Beauty & Wellness
Personal care services including nail salons, hair salons and barbershops, massage and skin care studios, piercing shops and tattoo parlors are closed at this time. Gyms and fitness facilities are allowed to operate outdoors in reduced capacities and adhering to state and county guidelines. Please call the business ahead of time for specific requirements including safety precautions, reservations and more.
Not Open Yet
Last Updated: December 6, 2020
The following businesses are not permitted to reopen:
- Bars and breweries without food service
- Indoor playgrounds such as bounce centers, ball pits and laser tag
- Live theater
- Saunas and steam rooms
- Concert venues
- Theme parks
- City of Newport Beach
- Orange County Health Care Agency COVID-19 Updates
- California Department of Public Health