As of January 25, 2021, Orange County is in the Purple Tier as stated in California’s Blueprint for a Safer Economy. The following businesses in Orange County are permitted to open indoors at limited capacities and with modifications:
- Grocery stores, pharmacies, auto repair shops, banks and other essential services/businesses
- Indoor shopping malls
- Personal care services including nail salons, hair salons and barbershops, massage and skin care studios, piercing shops and tattoo parlors
Within the Purple Tier, the below businesses are ordered to close indoor services but are allowed to transition outside following industry guidelines, so please call ahead for specific inquiries:
- Indoor dining at restaurants – view a guide of open-air dining here and a full dining guide including restaurants that offer take-out on DineNB.com
- Wineries and tasting rooms
- Movie theaters
- Zoos and museums
- Higher education
- Places of worship
- Fitness centers
- Offices for non-critical sectors
- Outdoor playground equipment
For more information regarding California’s Blueprint for a Safer Economy, please visit: covid19.ca.gov/.
- The State of California has made cloth face-coverings mandatory for anyone over the age of two in public spaces where there are others within six feet of you that reside outside of your household.
- For more health and safety guidelines during your visit to Newport Beach and Orange County, kindly observe the OC Health Officer’s orders & recommendations here.
- Please contact individual businesses ahead of time to learn about safety measures and patron guidelines before you visit.
What Is Open In Newport Beach?
Newport Beach hotel properties are open and are welcoming guests at this time. Each property has placed appropriate protocols and procedures place to support the safety of guests. Please contact each hotel property for more information about safety guidelines and policies.
Short Term Rentals
A home away from home, Newport Beach short-term vacation rentals are available to rent. Please contact each individual company or property for more information about safety guidelines and policies.
View Vacation Rentals in Newport Beach
Photo Courtesy of White Sail Realty
Beaches are open for passive and active recreational use that follow physical distancing guidelines during normal beach hours (6 a.m. to 10 p.m.), 7 days a week. Parking lots, restrooms, the oceanfront Boardwalk, and Newport and Balboa piers are open. Newport Harbor is open for all normally allowed water activities. Fire pits are still closed.
As with all public spaces, the City of Newport Beach recommends that all people (1) stay close to home when you get outdoors, (2) not drive to parks or beaches, (3) venture out only with people in your immediate household, (4) actively walk, jog or bike in your neighborhood or local parks that remain open, (5) always maintain a social/ physical distance of 6 feet or more when recreating in the outdoors, and (6) leave public space if you cannot maintain social/ physical distancing. For more information, please visit: newportbeachca.gov
Open Air Nature Beyond The Beach
Fresh, beautiful and open-air natural spaces are located in every corner of Newport Beach. From hiking and biking trails to an ecological reserve and the West Coast’s largest recreational harbor, there are a variety of inspiring places to enjoy the great outdoors.
Socially-Distant Outdoor Recreation
Enjoy Newport Beach’s beautiful outdoors with these socially-distant land and water experiences. Please contact individual businesses about safety guidelines and protocols in advance.
Following the county’s guidelines and safety protocols, indoor dining is closed at this time but many Newport Beach restaurants are still open for outdoor patio and al fresco dining at reduced capacities. The Newport Beach City Council unanimously adopted an ordinance to allow businesses to extend to outdoor spaces through temporary permits. Find some of our favorite open-air dining here!
Takeout and delivery are still offered at many of our 450+ restaurants. For a complete Newport Beach dining guide, visit DineNB.com.
Fashion Island, Lido Marina Village and a variety of local boutiques are ready to welcome you back. Most Newport Beach retail stores are located outside and are incorporating proper social distancing and sanitation measures to allow patrons to shop safely.
Beauty & Wellness
Hair salons, barbershops, nail salons, tattoo and piercing shops, and skin care and cosmetology facilities are open for indoor services at reduced capacity following the county’s detailed guidelines and safety protocols. Indoor gyms and fitness facilities are closed at this time, but many have transitioned outside. Please call the business ahead of time for specific requirements including safety precautions, reservations and more.
Not Open Yet
Last Updated: January 25, 2021
The following businesses are not permitted to reopen:
- Bars and breweries without food service
- Indoor playgrounds such as bounce centers, ball pits and laser tag
- Live theater
- Saunas and steam rooms
- Concert venues
- Theme parks
- City of Newport Beach
- Orange County Health Care Agency COVID-19 Updates
- California Department of Public Health