Calling all Car Enthusiasts, Balboa Car Show Revs Up Your Sunday Morning
The Balboa Car Show is jump-starting your week every Sunday from 7:00am – 9:00am in the heart of Newport Beach, California. From current to classic, a diverse selection of jaw-dropping cars are shown weekly. And all are welcome, whether you are a spectator or desire to show your “baby,” everyone is invited to this locally-loved event.
Admission is free and what’s more, there are prizes every week for “Best in Show” car owners! The Balboa Car Show is nestled on a gorgeous harbor and ocean setting at the Balboa Village parking lot on Balboa Blvd and Palm St.
To fuel our engines, we sat down with the founder of The Balboa Car Show, Marcel Ford of Old Newport Realty, to get a peek under the hood about the nuts and bolts of the show and car community in Newport Beach.
- Why did you start the Balboa Car Show? I have a 1941 Ford and love old cars. I was attending the Huntington Beach’s Donut Derelict and Irvine’s Cars & Coffee shows regularly. Then I thought why doesn’t Newport Beach didn’t their own show? Newport has to have the most vintage cars than any other city. So I started the Balboa Car Show here at the Fun Zone parking lot and it’s been a tremendous success with a free raffle, Best in Show awards and candy for kids.
- When did your interest for cars start? I’ve always had an old car or two and one day I saw a beautiful 1940 Ford pickup driving on PCH. I chased it down and handed the owner my business card and asked “if you ever want to sell, please call me!” Then about 6-months later I get a call from the owner and I bought the car the same day. It’s beautiful with stunning curves; vintage cars are lost era in car modern design which I very much appreciate and miss.
- What are the best cars you have seen in Newport Beach? Wow – good question. The Balboa Car Show has some pretty amazing cars. Last week the Best in Show award went to a beautifully restored 1932 convertible Fiat that had a 13 horsepower peanut engine that got 200 miles a gallon. There are original 1940 Woody’s, 1957 Cadillac convertibles, beautifully restored 1915 Model T’s and many other “best” cars that are fascinating to see still on the road.
- Why is Newport Beach the best destination for a car show? With the other popular car shows around Newport you’re either in a parking lot on a busy corner or in a commercial industrial space. Newport Beach has the best location of any car show venue I know of. You take a ferry boat ride from Balboa Island or drive down Balboa Boulevard to an historic destination with bay, pier and beach all around you – plus many great breakfast places to enjoy – the Balboa Car Show really is the best location!
- What are the most scenic drives in Newport Beach? If you’re looking for an easy scenic cruise, I’d suggest Pacific Coast Highway either south to Laguna Beach or north towards Long Beach – either direction has beautiful coastline views. Ocean Boulevard in Corona del Mar is also short and beautiful. I’d stop at either Ruby’s Shake Shack in Newport Coast or Crystal Cove’s Beachcomber Restaurant for an beachfront, (on-the-sand) breakfast, lunch or dinner ocean view experiences.
Put the pedal to the metal and head over to Balboa Peninsula every Sunday to get your car fix!